Between both of our paper routes and our homestead we have seen just about every mammal in Wisconsin. I'll try to name them all.... cougar, bear, wolves, coyotes, fox, bobcat, lynx, badger, wolverine, beaver, gopher, fishers, minks, weasels, rabbit, squirrel, eagle, assorted owls, hawks, trumpeter swans, sand hill cranes, wild turkeys, geese, ducks, a lot of birds, and many many deer. I'm sure I've forgotten someone.
Most days I'll keep a count of how many animals run in front of my car on the route and compare the amount to my husband's count. I almost always beat him. My route is more wild and woolly. I won't drive over 45mph and always use my brights when possible.
Two summers ago I was driving on an old logging road early in the morning and there was an huge bear in the road and in no hurry to move. I bet he was 600lbs. I got so excited and wanted to take his picture. I took out my cell phone and aimed it at him and pushed the wrong button and put my phone on vibrate instead of taking a picture. I got the camera working and by this time he was walking away. I said "Excuse me Mr. Bear, can I take your picture?" He turned around and gave me a scary look and I said "Never mind" and got the heck out of there.
Last fall I saw what I thought was a wolf cross the road. I rolled down my window and asked him "Are you a wolf or a dog?" He turned and looked at me and it was very apparent he was a wolf. They have really long legs and are a lot taller then I thought. I have seen wolf tracks in our woods also and it's amazing how much bigger the paw print was than my 100lb dog's. We hear them howling quite often at night. Sometimes they are so close the howling wakes me up even with the windows closed!
When we were just camping on our land on the weekends, one night we heard a bobcat quite close screeching. It was dark out and we were just star gazing and talking when the bobcat screeched. My husband's eyes about popped out of his head and he said "What the h**l was that?" I told him I thought it was a bobcat and he thought we should go in right away. I told him I didn't think it would run across the field and attack us. We sat and listened to it screech away from us. They have a really spooky cry. That was kinda cool.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lynda, we have heard a wolf or the wolves calling at night from our little cabin on Ward Lake.
ReplyDeleteA neighbor who has a Siberian Husky didn't actually hear the wolves howling; but said that the dog paced in the house & the hair on his back stood on end.
My husband, Steve, has seen the wolf tracks when he's been out in the woods scouting for deer.