Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 25, 2010

My job

I deliver newspapers everyday of the year. I've been doing this for over 3 years and I've only had one day off for kidney surgery. I have what's called a motor route. I drive 80-100 miles everyday no matter what the weather or road conditions. I have to drive sick, tired, scared of the road conditions etc...

My pay has been cut twice in the last year and if they cut it again, I might as well quit. They say it's for the newspaper. So it can avoid bankruptcy blah, blah, blah. I spend a lot of money on gas. My husband is a mechanic and keeps my car running. I have a 4 wheel drive truck to use in really bad weather.

My husband also drives a route everyday. We have 2 routes. I take care of all the paper work and billing. I took on an extra route over a year ago and I don't have enough time to do 2 routes by myself in the amount of time I'm allowed between the paper drop off time and 6am. We really needed the extra money when we took on the second route and now we are kinda stuck. I told my husband when we were offered the second route, he would have to commit to help me no matter what.
We deliver to 2 small towns and mostly to farms. I have the more rustic route. I drive on 29 dirt roads a day and I have a lot of flat tires. We see a ton of wildlife. Between the two of us we've seen every mammal known to Northern Wisconsin except a moose. I'll list them later.....

2 comments:

  1. Lynda, I enjoy your new blog.

    Interesting to get to know more about the hard-working folks who deliver our newspaper out here in the boondocks.
    You've done a amazing job for us!

    Lynda, I ♡ to tell the story about the Wren in the paper box that flew out when you put the Sunday paper in & ended up inside your vehicle.

    I just couldn't figure out why we didn't get a paper that 1 time. [HaHa]
    Eventually I understand after talking with you.
    That little birdie pulled a trick on the both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wren story was your old newspaper lady Shelley. You told me the story and I laughed for days about it. I think I only missed one of your papers and I still think someone took it. Because I didn't have any papers left at the end of my route. That's not a good sign when you have papers left.

    ReplyDelete